Dimpled skin, commonly referred to as cellulite, is a popular phrase in the fitness industry. Especially when it comes to conversations about thighs, butts and upper arms. Eighty five percent of women have some degree of cellulite. Quite frankly, there are some results trainers cannot help you achieve. However, when it comes to cellulite, trainers can help alleviate the problem of unwanted “orange-peel” skin.
Here are five tips to help you reduce cellulite:
1. Weight Loss: Research has shown that weight loss can help reduce visible cellulite.
2. Resistance train: Subcutaneous fat is layered on top of muscle. Therefore, if muscles in the hips, thighs and arms are weak and flaccid, this can lead to the “uneven appearance of skin” One benefit of resistance training is reducing cellulite.
3. Stay away from the infomercials: Stay away from liposuction, subcision, injectables, skin kneading, thermotherapy, topical ointments and herbals for cellulite management. There is little evidence supporting their potency for minimizing cellulite.
4. Laser treatment: Research has shown that laser therapy, a non-invasive form of cellulite treatment, can help in the reduction of cellulite.
5. Quit smoking: As if you couldn’t guess this one, cigarette smoke has been shown to weaken the formation of collagen, which can lead to cellulite production.
Notice the first two tips have to do with diet and exercise. If I could bottle it and sell it, I would. A proper diet and exercise will not only reduce cellulite but positively effect many other aspects of your health as well.