One of the most gorgeous collections of mixed metal cuffs along with equally stunning designs for earrings and rings, are on view in an exhibition, Part Of A Whole, Darcy Miro’s latest body of work at the Gallery Loupe, a contemporary art jewelry gallery in Montclair, New Jersey.
Darcy Miro, a jewelry and sculptor artist, works in metal forms – sterling silver, bronze, and 18k gold – first carving individual pieces in wax and then casting each in metal using techniques in piercing and constructing collage-like forms.
Much of Miro’s work references her interest in architecture, nature, and the body. A graduate of the Rhode Island School of Design, Miro’s jewelry is represented in the collection of the Museum of Art and Design as well as private collectors, and has appeared in W and Metalsmith magazines.
One of the hottest accessories on the spring 2012 fashion runway, cuffs are hardly a new idea having been around since Cleopatra’s day, but Miro’s unusual designs and fine craftsmanship combining high art and fashion create one-of-a-kind contemporary pieces that goes beyond the latest trend to the delight of a collector’s eye.
Through June 12, 2012. Gallery Loupe, 50 Church Street, Montclair, New Jersey, 973-744-0061. www.galleryloupe.com
CAPTIONS (in order of appearance)
1. Cuff. Perforated and Buttoned, 18k gold, black diamonds.
2. Cuff. The Missing Square. Oxidized sterling silver, 18K gold, black diamonds. 2012.
3. Cuff. Layers and Pieces, Holes and Folds, Raw sterling silver, 18K gold, black diamonds.
4. Bracelet/Cuff. Broken Coral
5. Ring. Wrapped and Perforated, Oxidized sterling silver, 18K gold